View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #13
37 Coupe

Default Re: Terry Chapman Model A engine rebuilder.

I would have the head off either before I buy it or shortly after as I have a head I would want to use anyway. The reason I asked or posted this about Terry Chapman was mayby someone would know about him and his use of babbit. Babbit to me is the big thing,55 years ago I was able to drive my '30 roadster to an old Ford mechanics garage just 15 miles away and he pulled the engine,rebabbited,reuilt everything and it ran like a fine watch. Two years ago when I had current engine out no one or at least the flathead Ford rebuilder I have used within 30 miles from me would even look at a babbited engine let alone clean the block because of the babbit.I run the engine that is really a low mileage never rebuilt engine but really screwed up not having at least a valve job done on it before I put it back in car. It runs okay but valves are noisy and it looses a lot of speed on hills. It is not a '31 engine also it is a '29 but also not a big deal. At 75 years old I don't know how many more winters I have to pull and put in another engine.