View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Emergency Brake Cross Shaft Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
The lever in the picture, and in particular the short shaft or pin that the fish eye clevis attaches to. Is it supposed to be 7/16" diameter? Mine look to be worn as does the clevis diameter so I don't know how you would fix the .od.? Mayby it is not an issue for wear on emergency brake? I don't understand how this part would wear,wouldn't movement only be when you engage the two levers,left and right with emergency brake handle?
It wears due to vibration. When gritty dirt is attracted and the park brake is activated, it wears the arm.

You ask how it is repaired, ...we made two fixtures that mount into the lathe that has an offset where the clevis end is in the centerline of the chuck. The arm is welded in the worn areas and then turned. Unless you are restoring multiples of these arms, just weld up the worn areas and use a grinding stone to make the shank round and to the size of the clevis. If you are off-center by a few thousandth it is not that big of a deal. This is a great source of rattles, so don't overlook restoring these arms.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote