View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Procedure for check bearing clearance

I should have mentioned this in my other posts, here goes . If after checking the clearance with plasti-gauge , if the clearance isn't where you want it either add or subtract shims . In some cases when the babbit and journal look useable but the clearance is more than removing shims can correct I have filed the bearing cap just enough to give the needed clearance . Some are afraid to use such methods . This is what I would do with an older used engine . If it was an engine that had been recently rebuilt by an engine builder and it was knocking , I would send it back to the rebuilder . .In other words , If there was an early problem , rather than go into the engine myself I would expect the rebuilder to correct the problem . Ford recommended a clearance of 1.5 thousands on the new engines or engines that wasn't worn too far . I use more bearing clearance on my performance engines to reduce drag and heat . Two thousands has always worked well for me . Some prefer to allow three thousands on the rear main bearing because it is longer .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 04-07-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote