View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Intro & Questions - '29 Special Coup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
A small update:

The car had both a 12v and a 6v battery sitting in it. The 12v was hooked up as negative ground. My uncle put in the 12v battery and coil - I verified 3 ohm - because he felt it was struggling to crank on 6v. I pulled both batteries to charge.

I wanted to put it back to positive ground, but had to read up on the conversion as I expected to need a starter. Well, no worries there. I do know I'll need to verify the coil is connected properly.

However, in doing this research I found out that the generator needs to be flashed. No problem. But... I also read that the generator should not be run while it is disconnected. Can you guess the next part? This generator has not been connected in 30 years or so!

Now I have to say that the wiring was never finished. Even the ignition switch is bypassed. Just enough wiring to start it. Now to read up on testing generators.

My uncle had said junk in the fuel tank plugged the carb. I pulled it off today, and didn't see anything right away. Then I pulled the top off of it. Hmm, lots of white powder in the bowl, but no sign of red rust flakes or particals. I think it is time to rebuild this carb.

I found the thread detailing this carb, and really appreciate the time that went into that post. I know where to get the rebuild kit, or where to send it in to be rebuilt. What I'm not sure of is how to adjust it when I'm done.

What I'd like to know is, is it a good method to soak it in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar for a few hours? Also, the screw under the bolt on the bottom of the carb for the main jet is stuck. I'm hoping a good soaking will get it loose.

It is also missing the correct inlet fitting with the attached filter screen. I have been unable to find a replacement for it. There are some parts carbs for sale that may have it, but that's a gamble.

That's all for now. All comments, suggestions, etc appreciated!

Welcome!! Seems like you have a handle on things. Did the Generator spin with engine running? There should have been a melt down if the Gen was working and the pulley spun as the battery is the real regulator when using a generator.

Have you decided on 12 OR 6 volts?

And this thread may help with carb adjustments, Carb adjustments

Do you have any books yet?

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-18-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote