View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 AM   #23
Synchro909

Default Re: Go ahead and give this thread a one-star rating. Babbitus fragmentus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Are you using Dan Price counterweights? I'd be careful about adding more weight because you can go too far the other way also. Ideally you want the weight on one side of the crankshaft at each point along the length to be the same as the weight directly opposite it. This isn't possible, but can be greatly improved on over the original Model A crankshaft.

The weight of the crankshaft and flywheel isn't any magic number, and the flywheel doesn't have to be lightened by 12 pounds if 12 pounds is added to the crankshaft. Also the flywheel effect will change depending on how far from center the weight is added and subtracted.
Tom. Who is Dan Price? I am not familiar with him or his counter weights. I intend making my own. It's easy to have them profile cut and bore the centres of them.
I have read on this forum that the ordinary weld on weights contribute about 40% of the ideal amount of weight for counter weights. By nearly doubling that, I figure I can get to about 70-75 % of ideal. Much closer. Can anybody confirm or otherwise this 40% figure??
I understand that 12 lb added to the crank is not the same as 12lb removed at the outer edge of the flywheel. All I want to do is keep the rotating momentum somewhere within reason.