View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Mart

Default Re: Safety standards though the world.

here in the UK, up until a few years ago, it was an annual MOT (Ministry of Transport) test for all vehicles. Then anything pre 60 became MOT exempt, which made it easier for me, but some people still have their cars tested voluntarily. Just last month, the rules were changed again to make anything 40 years old MOT exempt.

Obviously it is still the responsibility of the owner (or driver) to make sure the vehicle is fully roadworthy.

The other thing is what we call road tax. Some time ago, anything 25 years old became exempt from road tax. This rolled on for a few years until it was locked down at pre 72. When pre 72 cars became 40 years old, it became a rolling 40 years old cutoff for road tax.

The recent change in the MOT exemption rules brought the 40 year cutoff for both tax and MOT in line.

I am preparing to do some welding on my son's 1982 Mini. It is neither tax or MOT exempt and the MOT is due later this month, so I have to bring it up to a roadworthy state. In 2022 it will become both tax and MOT exempt.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote