View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #54
Offy 220

Default Re: OHV for Model A engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Bruce,
I wonder if anyone would have information on how many DIFFERENT Gemsa heads were made ?
Seems like a ton of different type Gemsa heads...and other equipment. Are you saying that this guy did it all in a 'trailer' type shed , machining all instead of castings ?
I was just at a swap meet a week ago and a guy I know has a Gemsa OHV head/intake , etc on a Donovan block set up..very powerful coupe !!
Hi Rick,
Great question! I know some of Gemsa's cylinder heads were stamped but I am not sure if it they were serial numbered and dated. Maybe someone on here or on the HAMB would know. Yes, as Jim B. stated, his heads were cast at a foundry or may have been machined from a solid block or billet.

I remember he had a large milling machine [may have been a Bridgeport or something similar], a large surfacer and in the back he had a 'clean' area to assemble engines. I know he assembled at least one 270 Offenhauser which was done for Bob Anderson and his A pickup and also he put together a 255 or 270 for Louie Senter and his T track roadster. How many modified "A" four bangers I don't know. Hopefully someone would know an answer or details. As I stated earler, I used to sit next to him at our WRA meetings at the Burbank airport bunker once a month and I never thought to ask him questions about his heads or machine work. I remember he was arguing about using Gasoline instead of Methanol and also disconnecting front brakes on our sprint cars because some of the drivers would stand on the pedal deep into the corners and rely on their front brakes to slow them down while they pitched 'em sideways! I am wondering if his daughter is still with us - maybe she could answer our questions!
Offy 220 is offline   Reply With Quote