View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #43
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Preservation vs Restoration

So I bought this very early 1929 (Feb) Tudor about 10 years ago or there abouts...It was either me or a hot rodder.

Things that were noted when I bought it...

1. It was repainted at some time in its life BUT it was repainted the same color as it was originally;

2. The fabric top was replaced at some time in it's life BUT with the same type of material that it was originally;

3. Shocks were reproductions BUT replaced with originals that were restored;

4. Cast Iron sediment bowl was cracked so I replaced it with a original that was not cracked;

5. The chassis was so covered with crud of dirty hard grease in most spots you could not see the grease zerks in lots of places or anything else as that goes;

6. Upholstery is in its original condition as most other things still on the car.

I decided to remove the body, take everything off the frame and come back with it by cleaning it up taking great care as not to remove most of the original paint that was originally put on the chassis parts, replacing parts, as bearings and bushings, with good unrestored parts that still retained the original finish except as noted above if need be, and just tried to keep it in it's original shape/condition the best I could except for the nice shinny restored items (shocks and sediment bowl).

So...did I restore the car or did I preserve the car? I would estimate that overall it is about 85% still in its original condition but what do I know???

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-17-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote