Thread: LED Headlights
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #86
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: LED Headlights

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
If you do buy new, make sure to look for the correct reflectors that Bratton's developed as some vendors do still carry the incorrectly shaped ones. However, this doesn't matter as much with the LEDs as they really can't be focused properly.

I guess this one is one I'm still having an 'understanding issue'. I liken this to someone who is using a rifle at target practice telling someone you can't accurately hit the target with a machine gun because they cannot mount a scope onto their machine gun.

The same applies to these bulbs. With a single filament incandescent bulb, you need to be able to focus the bulb to throw the one light beam the furthest. With a LED bulb that has multiple diodes throwing light beams at the reflector in multiple angles, there is not a need in focusing. All you need to do is aim the headlight to keep it out of oncoming driver's eyes, and the LEDs fill in with more lumens and greater distance. Ultimately, the goal of the headlight is to provide as much usable light as possible without blinding oncoming motorists. From my experience with using the LEDs, they perform this goal well.

One other topic to discuss, ...people keep mentioning using the Bratton Reflectors. While that is what I happen to be using also, I am beginning to question if it is the shape of the reflector that makes the LED's work well, -or whether its is Uvira's aluminized coating that makes them project light well. I personally believe it is the Uvira coating or the electroplated Silver when used with the LEDs, -and not the parabolic shape. If someone is using the single filament bulb that needs to be focused, then I do think the reflector shape matters.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote