View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #35
GOSFAST

Default Re: More flathead questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I picked up some parts from a buddy yesterday. 2 full sets of rods and a set of valves/guides/springs. The reason for the two sets of rods is so I can check them (visually) and discard any that appear suspect and the reason for the valves is that I was having issues getting the guides out and took them in case I needed to cut some valves off the get the guides out. I did manage to get all the valves out but damaged several guides in the process (broke the shoulders off trying to pry them down to remove the upper clip). I'm doing my best to gain traction on this slippery slope one finds themselves on when you open up an engine. If this engine was for a pickup or car, I would just replace all of the valves/guides, get new rods and consider a bore. However, this engine is going in a 1 1/2 ton tow truck and, while I will drive it, it won't see 1000 miles in it's lifetime so getting too carried away just doesn't make any sense (to me). It does take some serious willpower though as, like I say, it's a slippery slope with "while I'm in here, I should.....". I have the block stripped (with the exception of the cam bearings that I'll take out today) and will be taking it in to be hot tanked next week (it is disgustingly grungy). Then, the plan is (so far) rings, bearings (rod, mains and cam) and gaskets, paint it and put it back in.
You might want to seriously consider some bronze-lined guides along with some stainless valves? Now would be the time!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. You will NEVER experience any "hung" valves during longer periods of storage. At some point this will happen w/o the liners, just a matter of when!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides-Seals-Valves.JPG (76.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides Seals.JPG (74.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-24-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add info
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote