View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
G_Don

Default Re: Honing Cylinders

So I was able to borrow a mic from work again today and measured the pistons on the correct thrust surface. I got 3.9515" to 3.952".

Seeing as my measurements for the cylinders were 3.954" to 3.955" that'd give me roughly 0.003" clearance. I feel like this should be ample clearance to not cause any problems.

Ive attached some pictures of the cylinders below. The first two pictures are of cylinder 1. The third picture is of cylinder 3. I believe that crud to be melted aluminum, as you can still very easily see the cross-hatch in each of the cylinders.

I'm wondering if as BadPuppy said, it was caused by an overheating issue? I was pushing the engine decently hard when it started smoking, because of a Big Dodge truck on my ass, so maybe that caused the issue?

I noticed my radiator only holds 2.5 gallons of water. I read on the mafca website that the 2.5 gallon radiators are sears repops from the 60s which were notorious for causing overheating issues. Is that correct? Is there any distinguishing marks on the sears radiators that would tell me for sure if it is one of these notorious radiators?

At this point I'm thinking Im going to purchase a 3 stone hone, order new pistons and rings ; when I get the pistons, measure them all and hone the cylinders to 0.004" over what each individual piston is, order the radiator from snyders, check the exhaust for blockage, and then try it out.

Is there a recommended piston to order? Are the ones from snyders that are $95 a set a good option?

I am curious as to what the best way to cover the crank is while honing the cylinders? Do I just have to cover the bearing surfaces of the crank?

Thanks so much for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylinder1.jpg (37.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg cylinder2.jpg (34.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg cylinder3.jpg (27.2 KB, 92 views)
G_Don is offline   Reply With Quote