View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #37
dbtenner

Default Re: 1934 Spark/ Ignition Issue

Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate them. Quick update: I spoke to deuce_lover on the phone and we did some troubleshooting. The ignition switch is functioning properly AND I am seeing 3.5V at the coil. I tested the coil for continuity and it is closed, so it's fine. The condenser is the wrong type (A-12300-SP, for 1928-1931, same as the FA5 from NAPA), BUT I improved the grounding to the engine block (using a jerry-rigged screwdriver instead of the thin copper wire) AND THE CAR STARTED AND RAN! When I removed the grounding screwdriver, the car promptly died. So, as many of y'all suggested (thank you!), I do believe the issue is the condenser. Now I'm looking all over for a NOS proper 18-12300-B condenser, but I don't think they're made anymore... In the mean time, I'm going to try and twist the ground connector on the wrong capacitor and drill the hole larger so I can fasten the ground to the engine block. Any suggestions are appreciated! If the old 18-12300-B condenser isn't being produced anymore, is there another that you guys use/recommend?

Thanks! And thank you deuce_lover for trouble-shooting!
-dbtenner
dbtenner is offline   Reply With Quote