View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #19
Tinker

Default Re: Water Pump Flow Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
Regarding my response above, what are the general feelings of the effect of running the exhaust threw the water jacketing and the effect of the center exhaust passage, both blocking the water flow to the rear cylinders and also heating the water as the two other ports do?

In my almost 75 years, I've heard many story's about block cracking and to always look out for it also, regardless of thermostat or not, they have a tendency to to run hot, under extended heavy loads. Radiator condition and block cleanliness effect all engine types but, the V8 has historically suffer more from it.

I've also read accounts of overheating, on this forum, when running on longer tracks, that would mean higher speeds with more air flow, threw the radiator but, a longer load period on the engine.

There are wedges that can be installed to separate the center. It's a valve in block. There is some potential for overheating due to space. A good clean block, clean rad, and tuning is helpful. But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Limiting the radiator volume wouldn't be helpful.

There was a reason Cadillac flatheads exhausted out the top of the block.

Boiling a pint of water vs a gallon will take longer no matter how fast you stir it. Stirring might help.

I good design in my opinion for venting water throughout the block. As water flows. Don't mind the copper.

Skip is a goto rebuilder. If you have early flathead head mounted pumps, they are getting harder to find.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.32.11 PM.jpg (17.9 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 09-26-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote