View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Chasing my tail trying to get 1928 tudor running

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
" Valves are just as likely to stick up as down"

A valve would have to be stuck really hard in the closed position for the cam not to be able to push it up. As far as sticking open, only the relatively weak spring pressure is trying to close it, not the positive lever action of the cam

I doubt sitting for 2 years is long enough to bind up a valve in the closed position

His problem is elsewhere
It doesn't necessarily take a long time for valves to stick . Tight engines with new valve gear will stick the quickest . New stainless valves can stick quickly if the guides are in good shape and ethanol fuel is used. When ethanol fuel is used with stainless steel valves it is best to add Marvel mystery oil to the fuel. This pertains to most engines . I had lots of problems with valves sticking on my Massey Harris tractor , old jeep pickups with continental engines , even Honda motor cycle engines with overhead cam . Anybody that has much hands on experience with engines will know this. I mostly post here to help people with little or no experience with model A's . Somebody with model A experience needs to help pass on helpful info before it is lost . Theory or just wrong info doesn't help anybody and only shows what little the person that posts it actually knows . . All things that apply to modern engines sure as hell doesn't apply to the model A . Many things can lock up any engine . Stuck closed valves are a common thing that can lock up a model A engine .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote