View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #386
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a question about the bodies on cars and woodies in particular. I have noticed that when the woodie is parked on uneven ground, some of the doors will stick. The rear wooden 'deck' that I built upon is bolted to the frame rails with some rubber belting between the two. I have decided that I need longer bolts with some discarded valve springs mounted below so the frame can flex without twisting the body as well. I have also picked up some steel to fabricate a sort of rigid frame which is to be welded and bolted under my floor structure. The truck's steel floor is stock so some welding will be done there and then brackets built to connect to the wood floor cross supports which are a full 2" x 6" which supports a plywood deck. Another thing to note is that there are no dovetails on the doors yet and I plan to use those from a 46 pickup. Now a question on door gaps. Can someone tell me what their's might be? My body is closest to a '40 ford. The body's insert panels are just set in place, not screwed in yet. I'm hoping these will provide a certain amount shear strength once fastened in. Do woodies tend to flex more than a steel bodies? I'm thinking if I do all that's mentioned above, as well as opening up some gaps I should be ok, but I welcome advice from those with experience in this area. Thanks in advance, GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie floor 1.jpg (79.6 KB, 48 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote