Thread: AA Truck Worth
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

Default Re: AA Truck Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKS View Post
A difficult task is always putting a value on something. I have lost out on the last AA I was looking at. There is another "survivor" with a rebuilt engine (professionally done) for sale. It is a dump model. Rough cosmetics but mostly surface rust, lots of paint overs, needs new seats but current functional, no speedometer, plenty of farmer additions. Runs well, drives fine though if you hit a bump just right, it shimmies and you need to stop before moving on. New tires?. Dump works, transmission seems good and brakes are ok. I did not have a camera so no pictures yet. It also has a 6v alternator and a new radiator. Pretty original. $8000 seems high but would like some opinions. Thank you.
Check for bondo with a magnet, if its been cheaply painted over probably a bad sign its been cheaply repaired.

Shimmying is usually worn out front end and steering parts - tires are most likely not your cause.

Brakes are pretty diehard on these but judging by the other issues this truck may run well but needs help in every other aspect. Unless you have an open 2 car garage and its filled with tools id start looking at the 9-10K range and find a much better truck overall...

Most AA's and especially dump bodies were usually overloaded so check the frame well and for broken rear leafs - most likely the entire rearend shackle and pins wise are worn out like most AA's, can get rather pricey to properly fix.

now that being said - if your looking for a solid truck to restore (check for bondo) or just do mechanical maintenance it doesn't sound too bad but yes $8k seems a touch high but Once you get pics we can better help you - it may be right on the money.

If it speaks to you and you feel right about the endevor go for it!

We can only help so much the ultimate decision is still up to you.