View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Transmission Trouble in a 3 Speed Overdrive

Looks like I have synchro trouble fellas. The 55 has a mid-fifties 3 speed R10OD that I rebuilt (that really may be the issue here ). When I took it all apart it was pretty clean in the case with no visible signs of wear. There a lot of photos on my build thread and even more on www.hotrodreverend.com. Anyway, the transmission has been shifting fine, the OD working normal, until today. The shifter wants to now pop out of second gear when I let off the gas while either the OD is engaged or not, makes no difference. Obviously this is more noticeable if the OD cable is pulled out. Once she pops out of gear, even if I let her coast with the clutch pedal pressed and try to shift back into second I hear and feel some grinding.

Is this a synchronizer issue? I did use TSC mineral oil for the gearbox so as not to use an oil that would eat brass. Is there a possibility something else is going on?

One thing, if I hold the gear shift in second there are no problems. Shifting UP through the gears all the way to third are not an issue either, smooth as silk. When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd normally, I do get some grinding on occasion. Has to be a synchronizer right?

What else should I look for when I tear into the case...one more time lol.