View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Starter Issues and smoke?

Last night I drove the A to a get together about 15 minutes away and then back. On the way back it was dark so all of my lights were on. This morning I went to start it to adjust the wierd idle I have been having on the carburetor, and the starter wouldn't even move. Nothing. So I opened the hood to check the disconnect switch I have (which was on) and found smoke coming from somewhere around the starter so I quickly cut the power, pulled the floorboards, and disconnected the battery. The car was completely rewired last fall along with a new alternator being added. I checked the battery to starter cable for any wear or shorts from the notorious pedal rubbing but there was no evidence of it and it was clear from the pedal. The starter has not been worked on since I have had the car. Not sure if all the lights being used last night had anything to do with this, but I thought I should mention it. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? Hope it is nothing really serious though it probably will require me to take the starter off...