View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #42
Frank Miller

Default Re: Great northern route 2

Well let's start with the good news. I drove from Stanley North Dakota to Cut Bank Montana today. Approximately 500 miles. Speeds are in the lows 60s. I must be getting old. I just feel like I don't have the strength to drive faster but it give me an enjoyable pace. Seems like every house along the way has their own private junk yard. Saw a few old Fords but did not stop to get pics.
The weather has been great and Route 2 has gone back to a single lane 2 way highway. There are parts where there is not even a shoulder on the road. Scenery has been changing but there is a lot of vast open space. This place is really desolate, peppered with a town every 30 or 40 miles.
The plan tomorrow was to go to Glacier National Park. Because of the fires I am not sure how that will pan out. The sky is hazy here about 60 miles away due to the smoke. I'll just go to the entrance and see what they say. Washington State does not look much better and heading down into Oregon is going to be a mess by the map I looked at. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm open. They say there are air quality issues and the 49 already gets anemic at higher elevations. :-)