View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 9" axle beaing issue

In October of 2018, I went through the same problem with '55 Ford factory original 8.8 banjo housing type rearend axle bearing. Had the car at a front-end/brake alignment shop to install the parts and noticed that the new bearing was wider than the original, so that if you installed it, the outer retainer plate would not seat against the brake backplate, but would stand-off about 1/2 inch! In a panic, we checked three other local auto parts chains and found the measurements of their bearings to be the same as my new bearing.
It turned out, the shop couldn't help at all, but I had to pay for the time we wasted and we put my axle shafts back in. I drove away. I immediately inquired with some of the repro parts suppliers using all the measurements we had taken of the old bearing with a micrometer to see if the bearings they offered were consistent with what I had. Two of them had the same thing as the new bearing I was going to try to install, but a third supplier had the right bearing. I ordered it and waited three days. Then I took the axle shaft out myself and took it to a different shop where they quickly removed the old bearing and pressed the new one on.
When I got the axle shaft home and slid it in to the axle housing, it turned out to be perfect.
Some of these places are getting their bearings and seals manufactured in China. Gotta be real careful in selection of bearings by whatever your requirements are for inner bore and outer diameter sizes as well as overall width. Chinese automotive electrical parts suck real bad too. Don't last long before the contacts burn up.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)