View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Thriftmaster

Default 9" axle beaing issue

Picked up a 1959 Ford 9" rear end from a 4dr that the owner parked 30 odd years ago and let the black berries engulf it need I say more. Anyhow the body is toast but the drive train is surprisingly good.
I have run into an issue with regards to replacement wheel bearing.When I was removing the axles I used a slide hammer and it took one good tap and the axles popped out no different than any axles I have changed over the years. I should mention that this car was a 78000 mile one. Fast forward and I bought two new replacement SKF axle bearings and retainers and had them installed on the axles.
When I started to install one of my axles back into the rear end housing the bearing slides right into the housing with no resistance what so ever. I can slide the axle in and out like a cylinder head valve in a guide. The axle has to have a good two thousands of clearance between the outer race and the housing. Not only this but I decided to finish the install of the axles and once locked into place I can actually move the axle in and out on the housing a good 1/16-3/16 of an inch and this is the same for both sides of the housing.
I pulled one axle and went back to the vendor with my issue and we measured another bearing brand and found them to mic out exactly the same. While I am talking this over with my parts supplier another fellow comes in with the same issue. I know I can not run these bearings as is because the the outer race will be moving in the housing both in and out and I am sure turning from time to time. Has anyone else encountered this issue and how did you over come it? I should also mention that this is a small bearing rear end.
Other than to try and locate a set of NOS rear axle bearings I am at a loss to get my car back on the road at the moment.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote