View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 04:54 AM   #8
Mac VP

Default Re: Throwout bearing choice

The FM-MEX marking is indeed the bearing made in the Federal Mogul plant in Mexico. FM was bought out a couple years ago by National I believe. This is our source for the Ford 78-7580 bearing. There are other "sources" for this bearing from other places around the world and I can't say that I like the quality of them.

If you do attempt Rumbleseat's advice on drilling the bearing, be sure you do all you can to prevent metal chips from getting inside the bearing. It wouldn't take but a piece or two to cause premature failure of the bearing.

While on the subject, it bears repeating (and I'm probably preaching to the choir) but for any newbies reading this.....any continuous use of a clutch release bearing will result in its early failure. This type of bearing is designed for intermittent use. Don't sit at the red light with the clutch pedal pushed in as a driving habit. Keep your left foot off the pedal while driving except when needed to push in the clutch. Make sure that the clutch is adjusted correctly to allow for about 1 inch of free play at the top of the pedal travel.......this keeps the release bearing off the spinning pressure plate fingers. Be sure that you have installed the bearing and pedal return springs which hold the bearing away from the pressure plate except when you press down the clutch.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote