View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
Straw530

Default Re: Timing? Coil? need help!

Thank you for the responses. I do have quite a bit of experience with cars and engines. To be honest, I have never been good with electrical or ignition. I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around it. I have rebuilt several small engines, mostly two stroke for vintage snowmobiles I have restored, but I have also done work to engines and changed many engines including flatheads. In fact, most of the carburetors I have worked on are Tillotson very similar to this car! My oldest car before this was my 48 and 49 Ford. This car is literally twice my age! I have helped lots of guys younger than me, including my kids age to try to keep them interested as well. (both old snowmobiles and cars) I did rebuild this car myself, but did not do the engine. I just am looking to the experience here to be sure I get it right. I greatly appreciate all the help! Anyway, per the questions, my radiator is new and I did not add to it. I did not use the spark lever while driving before, because I had no issues while driving. 30 Closed Cab, thanks for the info, I will try that. Last night before reading this, I found the fan belt was loose. (I was going to swap may old coil back in) The car has been converted to a 6V alternator, and the arm that was pushing it out is too short! The battery was also very weak. I am going to weld a section in on the arm to give it more adjustment. My thinking is this this could be effecting as well, as voltage would be weak? I was thinking I would try this first. I am also thinking I should put a dial indicator in the piston hole to be sure I am at TDC. Can these things jump a tooth? I know flatheads are good for that. As I said, the engine was rebuilt when I bought the car as a basket case, so I did not work on the engine. I have 1200 miles on it to this point, running pretty darn good! Thanks again for all the feedback and help!
Straw530 is offline   Reply With Quote