View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default What is average highway speed for the model a?

Hello guys I have been driving the wheels off of the Tudor around town and on the back roads where I live since I have the overheating problem fixed and just wandering since I have never drove another Model A besides mine what is a good average speed? I have a stock motor and transmission and rear end, I do not know the history of the engine I have just been going real easy with it until I am sure nothing is going to fly lose! The only thing that I have done to the engine is a new oil pump drive gear and distributor and new oil and plugs and a rebuilt Zenith and alternator. Seems to run out real good no knocks seems to do good all way around. I have been running around 30 to 35 on two lane back roads and seems a good speed for this car, on highway is around 40 to 42 I took my GPS to accurately check speed I just didn't know what "IS" a normal highway speed she will cruse nicely at 42 mph but today feeling a little more like "LETS SEE WHAT THIS BABY WILL DO" I ran her up to 50 mph but with stock transmission it sounded like I needed another gear to change into! So I did not run at that speed for just maybe a 1/2 mile if that far. I am not about speed if I want to fly I should have never bought a Model A! I am fine at 40 to 42 mph that is plenty fast to get you skint up! Just curious what these cars recommended speeds were. Thanks for everything guys, Robert DeBord

Last edited by DeBordEngineMan; 09-05-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added to post
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote