View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
Dave36ford

Default Re: Frame serial number to obtain a title?

Just got off the phone with both VT and NJ DMV, process sounds quite odd but maybe it'll work?

VT said all they need is a signed bill of sale, fill out the registration form, pay the fees (reg form fee and sales tax on the lowest NADA value of the 'car'). Total fees would be somewhere around $700. (ouch)

NJ said if I have a registration in my name from VT, I would need a notarized bill of sale saying I'm the seller and the buyer with the the sales prices as 'gift', VT registration card, NJ drivers license, fill out the reg form and pay $60.

The whole bill of sale of me selling the car to myself as a gift seems really odd. But that's straight from the mouth of the NJ DMV rep out of Trenton...

Honestly don't know if it's worth shelling out almost $800 dollars for. My plan all along was to look for a model a rolling chassis with a title and go that route, seems more legit? And then I can use some of the components and what not as well.

That all being said, I already have this frame so it'd be neat to use it. Based on the stampings it was built in April 1931 which is also really cool because I bought this as a father son project and we were both born in April, ha!
Dave36ford is offline   Reply With Quote