View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Adjusting the timing for hilly driving..

I set my initial timing as right on as I can get it . If initial timing isn't right on you won't be able to get full advance or retard , depending on which side the timing is off on . The spark lever can then advance or retard as needed . As said before in this thread , A person needs to run as advanced as they can for full power and cool operation. There is three times that use of the spark is needed . I retard completely when starting the engine . I retard as many notches are necessary when climbing hills to prevent pings or timing knocks . When driving on back roads or trails at low speeds I will retard as necessary when running in higher gears to prevent bucking and lugging . A person can feel the strain taken off the engine when the spark is retarded as needed and this will allow running at lower RPM while avoiding lugging the engine and beating out the babbit . I avoid running in the lower gears for long distances on trails because the higher RPMs will cause over heating . Use of the spark lever has everything to do with listening to the engine for knocks and knowing the feeling when the engine is lugging . When running at speed , I run at full advance . I don't retard when going down hill .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote