View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
dean from bozeman

Default Re: Big 3 Swap Meet Memories

Sad. It's like the passing of an old, dear friend.

For 15 out of the last 18 years it was my place to thaw out, meet with friends and buy some early '28 parts.

It was the place where we admired Dave Lopes' very original '29 Fordor and then at 5:00 he said, 'Well boys let's go for a ride'. Four of us were treated to a ride in his 4,000 mile Fordor. It was as close anyone will ever get to riding in a brand new Model A.

Years earlier I had found a complete, first generation front end under a '29 A. Now I had to figure out a way to get it home to Montana. The airlines frown on trying to check in an "A" front end. So what happened was that Sammie Guthrie took it with him back to Arizona and then I picked it up on my way back from the Dallas World meet. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Just a couple years ago right after the gates opened I found a large script front axle with both hubs still on it on the west side of the car corral. The price was right and the treasure was now mine. For some unknown reason I put it on my shoulder and walked uphill towards Gary Karr's spot near E3. About halfway there I realized the folly of my actions and set it down. However, I am known for having more stubbornness than brains. So I picked it up, put it back on my shoulder and proceeded up the hill. About 150 yards from F3, Gary saw me and heard my faint pleas and ran to help me get it to his swap space. Why I think that any Model A part is worth risking my life or my back is beyond me.

There are three times each year that I leave the Rocky Mountains for my antique car hobby: Hershey, the MARC national meet and the San Diego swap meet. Now I'm down to Hershey and the MARC meet. Hopefully we'll have both this year.

Good bye Big Three swap meet. I'm really going to miss you. Thanks for the memories...and some dang nice Model A parts!

P.S. Special thanks to Gary Karr for encouraging to attend the Big Three, sharing a million laughs and a few beers!

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 02-24-2021 at 06:16 AM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote