View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #23
barnstuf

Default Re: Building a Travel Toolkit

I am an old timer with Model A driving and for many years carried a condenser as my spare parts, and my tools were a jack and a screwdriver. I gradually morphed into carrying more spare parts and I have helped others with them, and never needed more than a condenser for my own car.

Let me tell you a story. I got a phone call one day from a female asking me if I had a generator available. I said yes and in a few hours she appeared. She was a hippie type with a rather run down appearing Fordor. I asked her how far she had driven with the generator not working. Her reply was MONTANA. I then asked how many times she charged the battery and she said once, near Chicago. She parked at night on hills to coast and start or she cranked it. She did not drive at night. She had Model A common sense. She visited her mother on the Cape and left for Tennessee. The next time I saw her, months later, the Fordor was smashed in the rear. She was driving back from Tennessee and on the New Jersey Turnpike she got rear ended by a semi. She was towing a U Haul trailer carrying her mothers furniture to the Cape which absorbed most of the damage and trailer and contents were totaled. The car was still running and free of mechanical problems but the rear of the body had extensive damage. The last time I saw her she was leaving to return to Montana in the car.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote