View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
mrtexas

Default Re: New 28 Ford, have some questons

Dick is the pop out expert: [email protected] He is also on ebay as dikc. Great guy too.

Taking out/installing the popout is a PITA. A hint: take out distributor and the popout head bolt when removing the popout. To install first install in dash and then re-install the distributor and head bolt. My head bolt was loose so I screwed it out of the block and it was the last thing to be installed. The ignition cable is hard to handle as it is so stiff.

This PITA is one reason so many Model As don't have an original popout.

I see that you have the early starter and starter switch. You most likely have the multi-disc clutch and flywheel as well.

You have a powerhouse generator. Your radiator cowl is not the really early 28 however. The early 28s have a different type of lacing like a model T.

Just sold my early 28 roadster pickup. Early 28s are unique to anything after mid 28. do you have the left side ebrake handle?

The horn works but doesn't always give the full ahooga. Is there a cleanup trick for this to get it to work smoothly?
good advice: "Put a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil on the two felt pads on either side of the armature. The back cover has to be removed to do this. Polish the armature with 220 grit paper as it revolves. Do not overtighten the rear cover screw or it will distort the armature frame and affect horn operation. Just tighten it enough so that the cover is not loose. Then adjust the horn operation via the slotted bolt sticking out of the back cover: screwing inwards tightens things up, screw it out a notch at a time loosens things up. Adjust it with the engine revved up steadily to about 4-6 amps on the ammeter = normal driving RPMs. Adjusting with the engine off and not charging will give you a false operation range. It's a rare horn that operates properly with the motor stopped. Good grounding is imperative!"

I would sand the horn commutator with 400 grit lightly as it is likely tarnished. At one time I had a dozen original horns of all makes: https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexa...s/home/idhorns

Another hint is to replace the fan with one of the newer aluminum reproductions. You don't want the fan to come loose and destroy your radiator and hood. This has happened to many Model As with original fans. The originals are an accident waiting to happen. Some of the older repros aren't so great either.

Email me if you want an extensive listing of early 28 differences. A forum member has an excellent write up I can send you.

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-29-2017 at 11:36 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote