View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #35
Slotblog

Default Re: Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Standard Tudor

Fred as correct, we were already on the road, but I rang him back anyway once we got to our hotel and we had a very nice extended conversation.

Just for a quick update, we left Salem about 11 AM and made it over the mountain (three inches of snow on the ground at the summit!) to Bend, OR, where we are staying tonight. The car runs better and better with every mile and the steering adjustment has worked out quite well. The winds are still blowing and push the car around a little, but with 3/4" of play in the steering wheel, I can deal with them, as well as the moderate tramlining behavior on poor pavement. I suspect this is alignment but it's not so bad that I can't deal with it on the trip back.

On arriving in Bend, we noticed a little coolant waterfall and it is a problem I anticipated, a pretty good leak out of the water pump packing. I brought along one of the gland nut wrenches so if tightening it up doesn't do the trick, I'm thinking the local hardware store or plumbing supply will have some graphited packing material that will suffice. Any advice from you experienced A'ers in this regard?

Car runs well and happily at 50 MPH, though I am going to try to keep it closer to 45 MPH. FWIW I only had to grab second once to get over the ridge. Top gear sufficed for all other climbs.

So tomorrow it's eastward ho! Hope to make Ontario by nightfall.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote