View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
tubman

Default Re: Need info on Holley 94 carb setting on Merc engine

On the subject of automatic chokes, I have done two when putting Rochester 2G's on Mercury manifolds, so I have found out a couple of things. The first one I did had the choke stove (the round "thingy" with "rich-lean" on it) mounted on the carb. There was about a 5/16 hole in the Merc manifold about halfway up the side of the manifold. On the Mercury, there are some fittings and a tube that goes to the choke stove. Putting a Ford manifold on a Mercury and utilizing an automatic choke of this type would be quite simple; just drill the proper sized hole in the appropriate place in the Ford manifold. The second one I did was on a '51 Mercury manifold. These have a "divorced" choke where the choke stove is mounted on the manifold and a rod from it connects to the carb. Trying to modify the Ford manifold to use a choke like this would be near impossible.

Surprisingly, I have found that making the choke function properly is probably the most difficult part of changing from the original carburetor.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote