View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
expavr

Default Re: transmission help

My hat's off to whomever put together that list of Trans swaps identified in the FTE thread!!! Very impressive effort.
I'm not familiar with the later F series frames, but if they look anything like the 40 Tonner, the X member doesn't have to be modified. In fact its a simple mod to bolt an extension to the existing X member to catch the tailshaft support on the O/D trans. Here I'm assuming that the dimension from the front of the 50 trans/bellhousing to its rear support is the same as the early Ford large trucks. Your trans photos would seem to indicate that.
38 Coupe's suggestion of using a later 3.00 differential has merit. Couple that to a set of 30+ " diameter wheels and you'd get down the road at a good clip, although you'd lose the benefit of some low end torque if that's important. Google Engine RPM/Tire Size/Speed Calculator and it will show a range gear ratio, tire size options to consider.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Anything that makes these trucks more driveable is worth the effort.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote