View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #35
daveymc29

Default Re: What's the latest you can remember anyone using an A?

A pilot on the Oakland fireboat drove a 30 pickup to work in the late fifties. We painted it in the parking spot for firemen's cars in a sort of shed. The other guys were nice enough to park their's in the street so we could do this. For some reason many thought I was a painter when hired and I think this was about my third car to paint. It turned out beautiful and we were standing there looking at it when we noticed a small dust devil coming down the pier. It passed over our burn barrel where we had just burned all the masking paper and anything else that was in the barrel. The dust devil hit the can and turned black as it got to the front of the shed where the winds caught it and it dumped the contents of the burn barrel on our 10 minute old paint job. I told the owner to do nothing until I cleared it with him, then I went inside and called my father-in-law who really was a painter. He told us to do nothing for a month, then rub it out with rubbing compound. Turned out really nice and the pilot would drive it from Oakland out into the Mojave and Death Valley rock collecting. He and another buddy drove it from just outside of Barstow in the Mojave to Los Vegas without getting onto a paved road. I wish I had that truck, may have been late 31 because it did have a metal top, but it was the small bed and I never saw under the hood. We painted it Red with Black Fenders as they were its original colors.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote