View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Vic in E-TN

Question Torsional Damper & Segmented Fan Belt

I have been following a post concerning this Torsional Dampers) and I have a question or two. In a post by SAJ of NZ he has posted 5 pictures and one of them and his comments started me thinking. He shows a picture of a segmented fan belt and comments that he keeps one in the car as a spare.
I have been using this type of belt on shop woodworking equipment for many years. It reduces the vibration significantly on "Craftsman" type equipment but it has not been necessary to use it on recent Delta or Rikon equipment. They are better designed and built. Has anyone used a segmented belt on a Model A engine for significant time and mileage?
I would like to do some research on power transfer belts in general. It appears that the Model A belt is significantly overdesigned. If one uses a cut down fan the power required to operate the fan is reduced by the cube of the ratio of the new diameter to the old diameter. This is one of the "Fan Laws". Automotive belts have a different set of dimensional ratios and angles than power equipment belts.
Comments welcomed.
Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote