View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #47
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Tom, after going to Bonneville last August I am wanting to go back again. I loved being out on that salt with all those race cars. Four of us had a blast out there together. I am also thinking I would like to drive one of my cars out the next time I go. Won't be 2013 but possibly 2014. I talked to the Rolling Bones crew about possibly joining in with them somewhere along their route and they were receptive to that possibility. Who knows, maybe just another wild dream of mine, but then who really knows, just may happen.

A buddy of mine went with the Bones crew last year and he had a tough time keeping up with them and he was in a 32 Ford street rod - 85+ was the norm at certain points in the trip. Although he stopped at night at their same stays, he arrived (at times) usually an hour or more later than they did. After while he just ran at his own pace and enjoyed it alot more. Nothing says that that's a bad thing, just not what I would want to do.

To me, it's all about the ride and meeting folks from the 'Barn, HAMB and others, seeing the sites, cruising some portion of old Rt 66, and visiting a few car museums/private collections/Speedway Motors type vendors along the way - that's my kind of trip to Bonneville, the holy grail of hot rodding. I would probably devote a week to getting there and a week for the return (probably with one day built in each way for unscheduled "repair" stops), more or less a 20 day trip total. My present plan is to go in my roadster (avatar) but perhaps if my 40 p-up is done (non-flathead powered - sorry ), I might go in it.

We can talk more about this whenever you'd like John, and anyone else who might be interested. How about a 'Barner's Bonneville Run event - sound like a possibility?

And for those of you who are purists, I know little (in comparison to most) about Bonneville and its history but what I do know is that way back when, many, many guys brought out their bone stock rides, removed a few things, taped up others, and made a pass. I doubt my roadster would make it through safety but making a pass in any ride would be sweet!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote