View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #32
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Eagle 4" 8BA Crank?

These Chinese sourced cranks are used extensively in small/big block Fords, Chevys, Dodges, etc. The come in cast as well as Forged alloys. They, as well as the connecting rods have proven themselves. They've been around since the 90's, and people are making big horsepower with them. I have a 4340 SCAT crank for my 363 (302) Ford that will make around 600 hp off the bottle, with another 200+ added with nitrous, and close to 8k rpm.

What you run into with the foreign cranks is not strength. Issues that generally need addressed, are balance and journal sizing. Journals can run on the large side, and not provide enough bearing clearance in some cranks. Another issue is balance. Balance is more prevalent in the cheaper cast cranks. Some can take a little extra work on the balance machine.

But, as for the core crank, they are generally pretty good stuff. On most, the journals will be just fine. Most will also have no issues on the balance machine. It's just something that needs checked.

Connecting rods tend to be plenty strong, but need to have their big ends checked by a machine shop before use... which should be the case with any connecting rod. Many will not be within spec.

NOTHING wrong with the Chinese cranks/rods... but use your due diligence, and double check the machine work. It sometimes needs a little attention.

Good Luck
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote