View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #1
7_Zero

Default Slant Window Body/Floor Repair - Looking for advice

I am working on my 31 Slant Window Sedan and am looking for some insight, advice and or confirmation on the direction. The body is off the frame and I have been working on the chassis, but want to change direction and start working on the body. The body needs attention inside and out but I figured the floor pan should probably get the attention first.

The original tool tray under the driver seat has been partially cut out and another tray brazed over the top. The 'replacement' pan has holes in it as well so I purchased a new tray to replace it (Picture 1). On either side of the tray the floor and subframe is rotted and will need to be replaced as well. The metal under the door sill plates appears solid so I was only going to replace the metal between the sill and the tool tray (Pictures 2 & 3).

The rear footwell is heavily pitted in areas and has some pinholes here and there. I am not sure to what extent it should be repaired vs replaced. The sides and rear seem okay, but the bottom and front ribbed areas have the most damage (Pictures 4 & 5).

The area under the rear seat also has some rust through (Pictures 6 & 7) but the part that I am most concerned about is the lower part of the sub rails have rotted away from the back of the rear door to the rear subframe. New angle iron has been brazed into place, but I worry this is not sufficient and would like to weld in some new metal (Pictures 8-13).

Right now my plan is to media blast the inside and outside of the floor to get a better feel for its condition, then epoxy coat it to protect it while working on it. At first I thought it would be good to do the body work off frame for ease of access, but have read that it is a bad idea. Will any of the repairs to the floor be possible off frame? Will they be possible on the frame? I did not pay close enough attention to where the frame sits to see if the repairs would be possible on the frame, and unfortunately this body is too heavy to be putting it on and off frequently.

For those who are experienced in this kind of repair, what would be your approach? I am thinking that the rear subframe would be the first part to tackle, then move on to the floor. Should any bracing be done before cutting or is there enough structure in this body type?

Thank you for your time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tool Tray2.jpg (57.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger side pan.jpg (70.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Driver pan2.jpg (66.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Rear footwell.jpg (50.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Rear footwell subframe.jpg (66.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Rear seat floor.jpg (57.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Rear seat floor closeup.jpg (47.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Driver inner rear well.jpg (89.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Driver rear subrail.jpg (52.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Driver rear subrail2.jpg (56.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger rear well.jpg (85.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Passener rear subrail.jpg (34.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger rear subrail2.jpg (37.8 KB, 61 views)
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote