View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #17
psykokid

Default Re: New Guy with a 38 Pickup

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Some keen eyes here -

It does have a 39 hood ornament and it is indeed not on wide 5's. It does have the t-handle for the windshield vent and not sure about an ashtray as there is a "custom" wood dash bolted over the original dash. From peeking from underneath the original dash has been hacked up. Also present is a later GM style tilt column which bugs me so I'm going to be on the hunt for the correct type of column / drop / steering wheel.

IMG_20180512_180400.jpg

The truck has the correct grill for a 38 - it was missing the furniture at the top so I picked that up along with the door lock / key and a set of 38/39 truck door cards that were on clearance from Bob Drake. It's also missing the stainless trim that goes in the center and around the edge of the grill which I know is going to be quite the scavenger hunt to find replacements for.

At some point previously in the trucks life, I believe prior to my dad owning it, it received a SBC 350/ TH350 swap. The fronts brakes have been converted to 5x4.75 discs while retaining the original type spindles on the solid axle / transverse leaf. The rears are drums, also in 5x4.75 but other than that I haven't managed to figure out what rear axle it is as of yet. It's got a funky home brewed rear ladder bar setup with a watts linkage on the rear end.

20210928_195557.jpg
IMG_20180512_180524.jpg

I have another frame / rear axle and a pair of rear fenders that are in pretty rough shape still being stored up north ( along with a another SBC core )

IMG_20180512_180648.jpg

Body is solid overall. A little bubbling at the very bottom of the doors and a small spot in the back of the cab at the bottom in the center. The rear crossmember / stake pockets for the bed need to be replaced as they have been patched poorly in the past. After the bed is repaired I'll work on tracking down a tailgate as there has never one on the truck in the time my dad owned it.

Plan is to slowly work on projects here and there, focusing on mechanical first and get the truck up to the point where I wouldn't hesitate to hop in and drive anywhere in SoCal. Drove it to work today and took streets from San Gabriel where I live to my office which is just south of downtown as I don't quite trust it on the freeway as of yet Gotta love manual brakes and manual steering. Fortunately the truck isn't very heavy in the grand scheme of things.
psykokid is offline   Reply With Quote