View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
Bud Man

Default Crankshaft End Play on Rebuild

Had my 29 A motor completely rebuilt (stock specs except for inserts a 5.5 head) and I reinstalled it last month. Runs and drives well, with clutch and trans both smooth and positive. Discovered today that the crank end play is in the .035 - .040 range, way out of spec. Was fine tuning the clutch free play a bit and noticed an audible clack when I would depress the pedal with the engine off. Emailed the engine builder, a well known shop that apparently does several A engines each year, and he emailed back that it (quote) “sounds like something must be pushing on the crank from the clutch side too much”. He also indicated that all A engines leave his shop with cranks set at .005/.006”. I am far from an expert on Model A’ but I have rebuilt engines in the past, and am at a loss as to how this crank spec would have changed so dramatically after less than 50 miles on the engine. Break in has been gentle and up to now, the truck performs well, but don’t know what to do at this point. Hoping the folks on this forum can lend some expertise and advice.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote