View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #170
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave57 View Post
Hello JCAllison, I thought about suggesting a mechanical switch mounted to the steering column. Just about any type of microswitch would work but if you have one that you have some experience with, so much the better.
Hey Mr. OD., as you might suspect, I would much rather have the Hydraulic Switch working to where it would just have to be hooked up, and VOLIA' be done with it. Alas, that has obviously NOT been the case.

So here is where Uncertainties intrude into the melange.

First Uncertainty: We don't know if the problem is in the Mexican Switch(s), or if it is something in the Master Cylinder that is keeping the Brake Lights from working. So in order to work around THAT Uncertainty, we have ordered Higher Quality Switch(s), which are supposed to be here Monday.

Second Uncertainty: We don't yet know whether the NEW Higher Quality Switch(s) will function as advertised. If they DO, we are home free. If the DON'T, then we can pretty much assume that the fault lies in the Master Cylinder.

Third Uncertainty: If the problem IS in the Master Cylinder, we don't know if the problem can be solved by purging the Switch Port in the Master Cylinder, and we don't dare try to see if it will before we get the NEW Higher Quality Switch(s) out of fear that something might occur to render Ms. American totally non-functional which would make it impossible to go to the Post Office to get the NEW High Quality Switch(s).

Fourth Uncertainty: We don't know if the NEW High Quality Switch(s) will work, and we don't know if purging the Switch Port on the Master Cylinder will render the Brake Lights functional. We DO know that the Master Cylinder actuates the Brakes though. So the logical solution to all the Uncertainties is to figure out a way to actuate the Brake Lights OTHER than using the Master Cylinder/Hydraulic Brake Switch Method. Thus the decision to have on hand all the alternate stuff to install a Mechanical Brake Switch.
Quote:
I measured the pin size on the brake switch on my 1957 Skyliner and it is a 0.156" diameter male pin (the terminals are called bullet connectors). I am sure that the 1964 model would be the same size. I'm sure there are some that you could find in a local hardware store, but the link below takes you to a proper sized bullet connector on Amazon (unfortunately there are a lot of them in this listing, 100 pieces).
Valuable information. As for the chances of the local hardware store having such items, there are two possibilities: Fat and Slim!
Quote:
Good Luck. I enjoy reading your adventures with Ms. American
Dave
Thanks for the kind words. Weather here today is right on the edge of being inclement, with the added inconvenience of swarms of mosquitoes! Am going to try to get out to the carport and see what can be done to brighten the Tail Lights. Have NEW Bulbs, and am sure that the Electrical Connectors have NEVER EVER been apart and cleaned. Am scared to death that the fragility of the Wiring will be a factor, but will do what can be done to disturb the Wiring as little as possible.

Thanks for the link to the needed connectors, and ancillary specification. Am going to order the necessary stuff to go Mechanical. Have already ordered the Borg Warner S237 Mechanical Light Switch, because finding Lorrie's OLD Switch amid and amongst the tornado chaos here is another Uncertainty.

Anyway, hope this finds you taking excellent care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote