View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
dmsfrr

Default Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I remember your saying it had a 239/256 (?) in it when bought. And you found a 292 to replace it. Is the TRANS the one that came with the car?
Need the TRANS ID when you can. Will do.
Yes it had a '54 EBY 256 in it, with this same transmission behind it, trans has been rebuilt.
The engine is now an ECK '55 292 block w/ '58 #5752-113 heads and a '57 ECZ-B intake, '57 Holley List#1273 4bbl carburetor and '57 tach drive distributor. 1000 miles since it was rebuilt & installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
. . . .
Where my concern is, lies in the fact that you are using a '57 and later intake manifold (which only properly fits on the 272/292 heads), and I am wondering if the guy who did the ill-advised swap, carried along the proper Ford-O-Matic passing gear linkage with it.

Thake some pics of back of intake manifold behind you carb so we can see the linkage. Do you see a rod connected from there that goes down to the passing gear lever on the trans (right where the shift lever is)? If not, you have problems. The Ford-O-Matic will not operate properly if that is not installed and not adjusted properly.
Yes the '57 intake it came with fit very poorly on the 256 engine, and the intake had an unauthorized leaking extra hole in it, but they're both gone now.
Photos below of the throttle linkage bellcrank with the transmission kickdown / TV rod attached.
I suspect it's the '57 version bellcrank but I'm not positive.

There is a turnbuckle sort of adjustment rod between the firewall mounted throttle lever and bellcrank on the manifold. My first impression of it, when trying to follow the kickdown / throttle control rod adjustment procedure, is that it's too long. But I'm not sure how it would make a difference.
The TV rod length is currently adjusted to 'just fit' into its hole in the bellcrank when the throttle is fully released in the 'idle' position & with the choke / fast idle off as well.
Please excuse the chipped paint on the bellcrank, it's on the to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
if you have a manual it shows how to adjust the linkage properly.if you do not have one that should be a priority.you also need to identify the transmission you have so any information you are given is right for the transmission you have.also as 55 said a picture of the bellcrank and linkages will be a huge help.if the car was pieced together over the years who knows what parts are (were) used
"pieced together" - See the basic under-hood parts list above.
I do have both a '55 and '57 Shop Manual and have been valiantly (if only occasionally) attempting to follow those adjustment instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
... The control mechanism behind the carb is a bit more complex than a kick down. It has to be properly adjusted to get correct shift control throughout the range of operation. As you push down on the throttle the TV valve (short for throttle valve), constantly increases transmission pressures as the throttle is opened up. The governor is set for shift points but it also has to have the correct pressure to shift properly. Too little pressure and it will slip. Slippage will kill the plates in these transmissions so adjustments have to be done a little bit at a time to adjust for a faster harsher shift down to a slower sloppier shift. You want somewhere in between when adjusting the TV rod linkage.

If the transmission has internal leaks due to bad o-ring seals, worn piston ring seals, bad servo diaphragms, or loose & leaky tubes then the transmission will have shift problems. ...
This is sounding like I need to lengthen the TV rod slightly to increase the pressure, to hopefully avoid the slipping when starting off from a stop that it's experiencing. I have been manually shifting it most of the time to help avoid that misbehavior.

The transmission was rebuilt before I reinstalled it and the engine. Using Mercon transmission fluid recommended by the rebuilder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, left side.jpg (84.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, right side.jpg (84.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote