View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #33
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Installing replacement pistons

Anthony G: I saw earlier that you were planning on leaving the crank in and trying to 'mask' around it. I highly recommend that you pull the engine apart such that you don't contaminate the bearings or get other crap in someplace you don't quite see. I know it is a pain, but given that it is a relatively new engine, probably a 2 - 4 hour job to pull everything else out of it. This way you can get the block correctly honed for your pistons (correct cylinder wall clearances and hone finish) and can wash the block with hot soap and water - to truly get it ready for reassembly. The clearances for your pistons should be about .004 (but check with Ross to make sure).

Also, if they have the piston bore size you need with the newer 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 mm metric ring pack (even if you need to spend a bit more money), I highly recommend these rings over the older 'Grant style' rings that we all used to us. They are usually 'file to fit' rings - so they all need to have the ring gaps manually checked/filed for every piston.

I usually run a hose directly from my hot-water heater and usually use blue Dawn soap.

Take a few extra hours - to make ALL the time/money you've spent on this project - the best investment it can be.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote