View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
montanafordman

Default Re: OT: Is a 'themed' shop necessary to a (potential) customer??

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That might be nice for some but I think the work and referrals speak much louder than any fancy building, sign, or atmosphere. Watching Chasing Classic Cars I've seen them do some unbelievable restorations and work on million dollar cars. Wayne's facility is a rather old white building by many accounts and I have seen his mechanics use common old craftsman tools and boxes (and some Snap-On) but its not like they have a beautiful and surgically clean facility lined with $20,000 tool boxes either. Some may argue their tools and appearance speak to their meticulous nature which carries some weight but isn't always true. In a similar comparison there are mechanics out there with over $100K invested in tools who can't fix a sandwich and others that can fix darn near anything with a multimeter, screw driver and crescent wrench.

Design a building that will benefit YOUR productivity and needs with functionality a top concern and your taste second. Your customer referrals and the work you do should satisfy the rest. If you want to invest extra dollars for aesthetics that's fine but I wouldn't worry about it. Just my opinion.