View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
SSsssteamer

Default Re: Dawn detergent in radiator

TSP is a lot better than Cascade dishwasher soap in cleaning the Model A Ford cooling system because TSP breaks down the mineral build up, cuts the grease, is non foaming, and it has a high ph of 10 or so to prevent damage to the head gasket, etc.. TSP helps prevents oxidation (rust), and when you drain your radiator after a day's run, the stew that comes out will contain a lot of the former hardened mineral deposits and sediment. A good rinse with a garden hose after a days running with TSP will help chase a lot more dirt out of the drain hole. You might want to take the lower radiator hose off to really rinse the crud out of the system that TSP broke loose. Put only just a handful down your radiator neck to properly treat the cooling system. We have boilers in our Stanley steam cars and while we are running them (15 gallon capacity) all a day, I put a handful of TSP into their feed water. When we shut them down in the evening, we blow down the boilers of all their water, mineral deposits and TSP. Where we had driven during the day with the various sources of water, our water sources are indicated in the minerals that come out during the blow down. I can tell the ph (acid) level in my water by how the blow down water feels between my thumb and index finger. Low ph (bad) would be lots of traction between my digits, a soapy feel would be a high ph level (safe). You can also taste the water and determine the ph level. Tart taste would be a low ph (high acid) level, and sweet taste would be a high ph (low acid level). Be careful in tasting antifreeze as that is poison in high enough doses. TSP can be purchased at most any hardware store, and at larger supermarkets. Running with a few tablespoons of TSP permanently in your radiator makes good sense, especially in areas that have a low ph in their water supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Stanley 606 June tour 14.jpg (117.9 KB, 45 views)
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote