Thread: Vapor Lock
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Ron/IA

Default Re: Vapor Lock

Tiny - I have never experienced vapor lock. If I did, I didn't know it; I always looked for another solution to the problem. I might add that as long as I have been a member of our local Model A Club, I have never know or heard of anyone experiencing vapor lock. Thus, I won't have a solution for it.

However, I can offer one solution that worked after experiencing the same problem as you (engine not running right after short shutdown). After running the car long enough to thoroughly warm up the engine; when I stopped for a short time then restarted, it did not run well. I originally thought it was the carburetor. I completely cleaned and rebuilt it; all new parts, confirmed all passageways were open, repaired loose throttle shaft, etc. The engine continued to do the same thing.

Then I changed the distributor (using the club's spare we take along on tours), and all was well. I rebuilt mine from the ground up, and the engine has continued to run fine ever sense.

I am not sure which component of the distributor was causing the problem; as I didn't take the time to replace one part at a time. But I thought I would pass along my experience.

As they state: if you think it is an electrical problem, work on the carburetor; if you think if is a fuel problem, work on the electrical system.

Good luck.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote