Thread: Vapor Lock
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Tiny

Default Vapor Lock

I know some don't believe in it but I'm looking for some input on an issue I'm having.
My coupe has an OLD rebuilt motor there is a date of 060945 stamped on the block. I have rebuilt the water pump, distributor, and rewired the car. I used "modern" points and a B profile distributor cam because the price was right(free). Both Snyders parts.
It has a stock Tilotson X model that was also refurbished by yours truly. I say refurbished because I didn't drill out the plugs and replace them. I did however thoroughly and cautiously clean all the jets and passages as well as check the float level and mating surfaces. I have the yellow Tillotson book as my guide.
OK now that the back story is done
The car starts and runs great. The Temp comes up to about 145 and stays right there. I can let the car sit and idle for extended periods without issue. The problem comes when I shut it down, say at the gas station like yesterday. Fill her up and get ready to leave, she barely runs. Coughing and choking I'm barely able to get her going. As I try to drive away its as if I'm on a bucking Bronco not in a 31 Ford. After about 10 minutes of driving all is well again.
Anyone have any insight?
I'm thinking vapor lock but isn't that not a problem with Tillotsons?

Is it time for clothes pins on the fuel line?

As always thanks in adavance