View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #106
davids2toys

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Dave...You're half-way there! The splines ARE tapered. Like a couple of others have said, heat (cherry red) and bend that arm where the bend is. Put the big end of the arm in a big, hefty vise. Heat at the bend and use a BFH to bend it to the shape you want. DO NOT cool it in water...let it cool naturally. Put it on the steering box, loosely fit the drag link in the taper, and see if it will travel full swing without hitting the pan. If you feel like you need to bend the small end, or if you still need to tweak the big end a little more, go for it. Someone above suggested that the taper angle in the small hole MIGHT be different...NOT SO! ALL of those tapered holes for tie rods and drag links (on Fords) are tapered at 7 degrees. This is where that 11A Pitman arm probably would have been the better choice because it's straight. Let us know how this works out. DD
If you look at post #85 that you posted you will see the 37 arm actually has a double bend, one in each direction vs the 36 arm which is dead straight! I am thinking if I was to get it heated up and take both the bends out and make it straight like the 36 arm it might do the trick as far as clearing the oil-pan and be at the proper plane because it will be straight like the orig 36 arm. My worry is that taking both bends out will make it longer and then might interfere with the other arm that ties the 2 spindles together. I will post pics of the 37 arm in place with the wheels straight. This would be the closest it would come to the bar that connects the spindles. I am thinking of taking the big bend out first, then try it as you suggest, but I am afraid it will be on the wrong plane because the bottom/little bend will still be in it so it will now sit cocked. Should I just take them both out first shot. It is going to be close!!

Also, in post #78 there is a link to eBay for the 11A arm, if you look at the pics you will see it also has a bend in it, it is not straight. Also not sure of the length on this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191101_223353.jpg (52.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20191101_224158.jpg (89.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20191101_230212.jpg (46.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20191101_230229.jpg (48.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20191101_230316.jpg (79.4 KB, 39 views)
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote