View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: Sticking windows

Thanks for the ideas. A couple of things come to mind. First, the windows were very hard to crank up when I got the car but they loosened up a bit with use, but not well enough.

I had the glass replaced by the upholstery shop when they were putting in a new interior. All the glass was replaced except the back window. It seemed to crank easily and work well when I first got it back from the shop. It has gone stiff again through the summer until the passenger side window became so tight that the window broke while it was being cranked up.
When I think back, the installer said they used "a lot" of WD40 in the shop. They probably used WD40 to get the window regulators loosened up and the seat rack too, which is also sticking again. Someone on Fordbarn pointed out that WD40 was not a lubricant and it dries out. Maybe this is the problem?
Also, when they installed the windshield panes I saw the guy trying to get the SS trim into the rubber gasket by ramming it with a hammer handle. The trim had to be replaced because of the damage from the hammer and he also scratched the glass surface so that had to be replaced. Their upholstery work was very good but I will not be taking the car back to that shop.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote