Thread: Schwalms
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Schwalms

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Terry,
To clarify, the engine was running over the/some past winter and it seized up as it was running. This is the way I read your description. Based on this understanding I continue:
From your description of how the engine locked up, I would bet the rear main bearing shell had too little oil clearance and it overheated and welded itself to the crank journal.
I would take the engine back to Schwalms and have them increase the clearance a couple tenths at the rear main. They are going to want to observe the condition and learn from the failure.

I only rebuild engines with insert bearings. I have about 180 engines out and running well. I had this "lock-up" happen a couple times about 8 years ago when I switched from Babbitt lined bearing shells to bearing grade aluminum lined shells. Luckily, only one customer (not for him but for me) had this happen while the engine was in his car. He had just made a 60 mph run for about 30 miles on the highway with about 320 miles on the engine. The rest of the failures were on my engine test stand while connected to the dyno I use to break the engines in. The aluminum lined inserts needed more clearance than the Babbitt lined. I now provide .002" to .0022" clearance and have not had any issues with seizing or leaks. The bearing insert manufacturer suggested .00175" clearance and when I used this spec, the bearing would occasionally seize when under heavy load. After experiencing the failure, I actually completed a round of tests on a test engine to determine the clearance needed. I actually tried to make it seize under heavy dyno load and was successful several times at .00175" clearance. Methods of measuring clearance may vary from one assembler to another and I believe the way I measure clearance (with plastigage) may not be the same as the supplier of these bearings as I know they use a dial bore gauge. I may have not had .00175" clearance but thought I did. Regardless, I needed to increase the clearance.
Each shop needs to develop and prove their assembly methods. Since your engine was not likely run under load, I can see how it may go undetected by the engine builder. By taking the engine back to them, you are actually helping them improve their product. I would without hesitation, take an engine back like this and want to make the repairs. I would not want it taken apart by the owner as much of the opportunity to learn from the failure would be diminished.

To fine tune the clearance adjustment, I fabricated a fixture to hold the bearing shells in the "crushed" or compressed state and hone the aluminum bearing surface with my Sunnen Precision hone. The stones are a specific compound and grit, purchased after consulting with my Sunnen area rep, to correctly hone the aluminum material.
Over time, I have worked with my crankshaft grinder to provide me the proper diameter main journals to eliminate the extra honing process but always have to ability to make a minor adjustment if needed. I posted photos of the fixture used to hold the shells for honing a couple years ago. I'll see if I can find them and either link the post or add the photos again.

In the meantime, the repair of this problem is not an expensive fix for the engine shop. I have been able to remove the welded shells with a brass punch and then carefully remove the built-up/melted on aluminum from the journal with acid. In only two cases did the crankshaft need to be re-ground.

I suggest: Put the pan back on loosely and remove the engine from your car and take it back to Schwalms. Explain exactly how the engine acted as it locked up and suggest to them that it may have been from too little clearance at the rear main. They are good people at that shop. I believe they will treat you right.
Good Day!
Thanks for posting this Dave, What you are describing is exactly what, and the way it stopped! I'm having a lot of emotional stuff in my mind (And I notice there a full moon, that can complicate things) If it weren't for the $5G I have into it, I'd like to drop it on his doorstep. But cooler heads have to prevail. As far as why bring it up here? I needed to ventilate. I was thinking of all the excuse he would as to why it happened to me, and how it was my fault for something I did or didn't do. and this thing's been out of warranty so long..... Blah, Blah, Blah.You know the same tired old spiel. Plus how everyone regards him as a god, well why didn't God return my call? I only hope this thing turns out with me giving an apology to Ora and the shop. Hell I'd even take him out for a steak dinner! We'll see!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote