View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #323
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The names are phoney.
Only ever known hard work.

My client and friend Mike was perhaps the hardest working bloke I have ever known. In the days when pilots used markers who waved flags, Mike marked in the centre of the paddock and counted the rows to measure the distance to the next swath. I’d find him asleep as I flew over him. The noisy radial engine woke him and he moved to the next mark. Poor Mike was always exhausted.
He was adventurous in farming but his problem was he took on too much. He had sheep, grew tomatoes and rice. The more he expanded the more capital he needed and the more crop he’d need to grow until it couldn’t be reconciled. Mike went bust. He had two children involved and very seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents (one a school bus), both passengers. It seemed like he and his wife Lucy could never get a winner. They took it all on the chin, stood up again and worked - every time. Today they are in business serving a farming community and they, the farming community, admire them both.
Mike told another farmer it matters not how fast one travels if one is on the wrong road.
Mike worked for me when he left the farm. Once he came across another of my loading trucks which had lost the drive shaft universal. He walked back and found all but one component, one being up a small tree, assembled it and sent the driver “Humpty” on his way. Initiative, improvising, honesty and work are just some of his personal characteristics.
I lift my hat to both you Mike and Lucy.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote